Chapter 3 - Winter's Shadow

>> Friday, February 27, 2009


“Hey, Sleeping Beauty,” Debbi taunted. “Wake up. Do you want to go to Club Red today?”


“I don't think so,” Victoria answered with a yawn. “I'm really tired today. I think I'll just go home and try to take a quick nap before the house goes crazy later.”




The rocking of the bus threatened to pull Victoria back into sleep.




“Rough night?” Debbi asked.


“Very. Mom hasn't been feeling well and I ended up taking care of Bradley. He was...energetic. I didn't get him to bed until almost nine, then I still had to get my homework done.”


“Shoulda just skipped it.”




“I thought about that,” Victoria yawned again, “but I want to keep my grades up so I can go to Hampton after I graduate.”


“Oh. Well, are you sure you don't want to go to the club? Shane's gonna be there.”




At the mention of Shane's name, Victoria snapped awake. She looked at her friend's face, and found her grinning like the Cheshire cat. She could be really evil sometimes.

“I-I couldn't. He thinks I'm an idiot.”


“No he doesn't. In fact, he asked about you last night.”




“He...asked about me?” Victoria entertained the idea that Debbi might not be telling her the truth, but just thinking about Shane asking about her filled her with too much of a thrill to doubt her friend's sincerity.


“Mmmhmmm. He wanted to know all about you.”


“Sure,” sudden doubt started filling Victoria. “He probably wants to know what mental institution I belong to and why they let me out on a school night.”




Debbi laughed at her. “Funny, Vickers. But he doesn't think you're a mental case.”


“He doesn't?”


“No. I just told him you had Tourette's and couldn't help yourself.”




“Oh Debbi, you didn't!”


Debbi's shrill laughter split the air, causing the other kids on the bus to look at them curiously. “Of course not. But you should have seen your face. Priceless!”




The bus stopped and the two got off, a mere two blocks from the club. They were silent for a few moments before Debbi started talking again. Victoria always knew she could count on Debbi not to be silent for more than five minutes.


“How do you think you did on the test today?”


“Which one? I had two today.”



“Mr. Ficus',” Debbi rolled her eyes at her friend, as if to remind her that they only shared one class together.


“I think I did pretty well, but biology is one of my favorite subjects.”




“I bet Mr. Ficus passes you with flying colors,” Debbi batted her eyes at her.


“What's that supposed to mean?”


“It means that Mr. Ficus has a crush on you.”




“He does not.”


“Yes he does. I see the way he looks at you. He always looks at your legs when he passes by your desk. I think he's trying to see up your skirt.”





“Oh stop. If he's trying to see up anyone's skirt, it would be yours because it's always so short.”


“Everyone knows Mr. Ficus likes his coffee with lots of cream,” Debbi winked.




Victoria gasped. “No he doesn't. He likes it darker, caramel colored, like you.”


“You are such a tart, and he knows it.”




“Well, you want to marry Mr. Ficus,” Victoria retorted.


“Maybe. But you want to have his babies.”


Victoria tried to think of a response but was interrupted.


“Don't try to deny it, Vickers. Come on, we're here.”




This time, when Shane took the stool next to her, Victoria made a conscious effort to act normal, or, at least as normal as she could.


“Hi,” he said cheerfully.


“Hi.”


“She speaks!”




Victoria felt that familiar hotness in her face and neck again, grateful the light in the club was dark so Shane couldn't tell. She simply smiled at him.


“I was hoping you would come back today. We really didn't get a chance to talk. So, you're a sophomore, right?”


“No. I'm a freshman, like your sister.”


“Oh yeah, right.”




“Is...that bad?”


“Is what bad?”


“Being a freshman.”




“Of course not. I was there once, myself,” he had a charming lopsided grin. Victoria had to concentrate not to get swept away, he was so gorgeous. “Hey, wanna dance?”




Did she ever. She wanted to dance with him, kiss him, get married to him, have a million kids with him. She already had a huge crush on him, and she barely even knew him. It was those eyes, she told herself. She could get lost in them forever. When he looked at her, it was like he was really seeing her, heart and soul, and he seemed so genuine. So different from her father, who measured a person by their status. Shane seemed like he was really interested in her as a person. She hoped he was as real as he seemed to be.


Later that day, Victoria arrived home without even remembering the forty minute walk it took to get there. She was pretty sure she had floated all the way home.




But when she walked in the front door, thoughts of Shane vanished. Clayton was home, and he wasn't happy. He was storming through the house yelling something about how his boss was a two faced something or other and Richard would someday pay. Clay had been competing with Richard, who was just a little older than him, ever since he had gotten the job at Tellerman's several years before.


“I've had enough of that place anyway. I'm glad I got fired!”


Victoria gasped. “You got fired!?”




Clay turned his angry face at her. “Do you think I'd be wandering around in pajamas at six in the evening if I was hadn't gotten fired? What's the big deal, Vick? Huh? Go ahead and stare. Clayton VanDoren screwed up again. Way to make the old man proud, huh? Not that I should care anyway. He'll have a fit, tell me I'm worthless, that I'll never measure up to his 'standards' and probably disown me. So what? I hate this stupid house anyway, and everyone in it! I'm glad I'll be heading off to college next month. I just won't have my references from Mr. Tellerman. That should screw me over real good. I'll never get as far in business as dad, no matter how much I try, I'm just not good enough!”




Victoria watched as Clayton stormed through the kitchen, kicked a cabinet door and then stomped upstairs. She had thought about telling Clay that yes he was worth something, and there was no shame in what had happened, but she knew it would just fall on deaf ears. It was bad enough that he would be leaving for college half a year later than expected because Erik insisted he repeat some of his failed classes. That went over well in the VanDoren household. Victoria shuddered when she remembered the argument that happened that night.




Nothing she could say would change how he felt, and could, in fact, make things worse because he would just argue with her anyway. She loved her brother, but she was glad he was leaving next month, because then at least she would have one less stress to bother her. She knew Clay had a lot of potential, and she hoped being out of the poison pit that was their home would bring out the best in him.



**********




“I'm sorry, Ms. VanDoren, there's really nothing more I can do.”


Dr. Parker's voice sounded far away and thin, as if he were speaking to her through a tin can.




“But,” Victoria shifted on her feet, “can't you just come out to the house to look at her? Something's really wrong, Doctor. I just feel it.”


“I can't come out the house without your father's consent. If I did, he could sue me for malpractice. I've already told Mr. VanDoren that we need to run some tests on your mother. And I simply cannot do that without a signed consent form.”




Victoria started feeling desperate. “If you fax it to me, maybe I could get him to sign it. Would that work?”


“I'm afraid not. He needs to come down to the office, or allow me to come there to witness the signing. Why don't you talk to him? Maybe you could convince him to let me at least have a look at your mother.”




Victoria's eyes stung as she hung up the phone. She had already talked to her dad. Many times. He always said no. But she would just have to try again.




She fixed a nice supper, as nice as she could with her limited knowledge, of spaghetti and meatballs with homemade sauce, garlic bread, and a fresh garden salad. She sat quietly at the table with him, eating hers. Clay wasn't home, and Mother and Bradley were at on of their appointments. Victoria waited until her dad was almost finished before broaching the subject.




“Daddy? Can I talk to you about something?”


“Sure, Pumpkin. What's on your mind?”



When he looked at her she saw the father she used to know. The father that used to act like a giant robot and hold her upside down until she squealed. He rarely used pet names for her anymore. She couldn't decide if it was better he was in a good mood, meaning he might be more receptive, or if it would make things worse by bringing out the father she usually saw. Then she thought of her mother, pale and tired, barely enough energy to take Bradley out then come home and crawl into bed.




She decided her mother's welfare was more important than a pleasant night at home with her dad, even though she never got to have that.


“I'm really worried about Mom.”


Instantly, as if a cloud had just appeared over Erik's face, his expression changed. The tiny bit of mischievous glint his eyes held turned into outright annoyance, bordering on anger.




“Not this again, Victoria.”


“But Daddy, something is wrong with her. You've seen how pale she is all the time, and how tired. I think she needs to see Dr. Parker.”


“Bradley,” Erik said through clenched teeth, “is an exhausting child, and your mother spends every waking moment with him. She doesn't eat right, and doesn't get enough fresh air. There's nothing wrong with her except her unwillingness to take care of herself.”


“Well, maybe you could hire someone to help take care of Bradley, so Mom would have a little more time to herself.”


“You know your mother would never do that, Victoria. She would insist on taking care of him herself and performing her 'therapy' sessions. My idea was to send Bradley to The Helping House, a home for other kids like him, where he could be cared for.”




Victoria sat in stunned silence for a moment. “You...you wanted to send Bradley away?”


“To a place where he would be treated well by people accustomed to taking care of kids that are...different. Then we could have family dinners in peace, and I could invite clients over.”


“But...Bradley is your son. How could you send him away?”




“I haven't! He is still here, demanding every ounce of your mother's strength and energy.”


“But you wanted to.”


“Your mother wouldn't have it. We argued many times over it, but she refused. I finally just gave it up.”


So that's what they used to fight about so often. But Victoria wasn't entirely convinced that her mother's behavior was entirely due to Bradley.


“Could you please just let Dr. Parker come out and take a quick look at her? You don't even have to be here if you don't want to be, I'll handle everything. Please?”




Erik sighed deeply. “I suppose,” he said reluctantly, shoving one last bite into his mouth before leaving the table.


A surge of hope coursed through Victoria. She happily cleared the table and vowed to call tomorrow and set up an appointment.




Three days later, on a somewhat bleary Friday afternoon, Erik and Dr. Parker stood in her parents' bedroom, discussing Katherine. Actually, they had started out discussing her, and now their voices were starting to raise in anger. Katherine, oblivious to the noise, slept peacefully.




“Once again, Mr. VanDoren, I strongly suggest you have some labwork done on your wife.”


“And once again, I tell you she doesn't need that. She just works herself too hard. Can't you just give her some energy supplements or something?”




“Not without labwork. I have several blood tests I would like to run to clear the possibility of something internal at work here, just to be on the safe side. Certain prescriptions can interfere with symptoms or even make them worse if there is an abnormality in her system.”


“Look, you said yourself there were no outward appearances of anything but fatigue. I told you, she's just tired. She doesn't sleep or eat enough.”




Outward appearance, Mr. VanDoren. That tells me nothing about what's going on inside her. Perhaps you are correct, and the blood tests show nothing. But until we have that proof, I can't prescribe anything.”


“Absolutely not,” Erik said indignantly.


“I beg your pardon?”




“Absolutely not. You do not have my permission to go poking needles all over my wife. Thank you for coming out Doctor, I believe we're done here.”


Dr. Parker, defeated, looked at Erik for another moment before gathering his bag.




Victoria didn't even bother to act like she wasn't eavesdropping. She didn't care if her father knew she had overheard or not. Dr. Parker nodded at her as he passed, but didn't slow down on his way to the stairs. Victoria stood helplessly, listening to him step down them with measured steps as if he was suppressing his anger. She heard the front door open and close, followed shortly thereafter by the sound of him slamming his car door and driving away.




She stood where she was in front of the stairs while her father approached, glaring at him.


“How could you? How could you send him away without letting him do the tests?”




“Victoria, I agreed to let him see her, not let him use her as a pincushion. She doesn't need those tests, there's nothing wrong with her that sending that child away won't fix.”




“You're a monster! You won't help your son or your wife. What kind of husband and father are you?”


“Now that is quite enough, young lady! You will not speak to me thusly. You will spend the rest of the week in your room with no supper to remind you that you need to have respect for your parents.”


“Well, if I don't cook, then no one will eat. Besides, maybe you should have respect for your family.”




His darkened eyes stared at her, and she knew she may have just crossed the line, but she didn't care. Maybe Clay was right to hate this house. She wished she were able to go to college soon and leave this place behind soon, too.

18 comments:

Astral Faery February 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

I absolutely cannot believe I left the walls down in 3 pictures!! I didn't even notice until now, and I SO don't want to reshoot, lol. Hope you guys can overlook it.

Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

Ari -

I didn't notice. I was too wrapped up in the story to notice such a thing. Victoria is such a lovely girl.....this is all so very sad. If her father were as kind and understanding as he is good-looking - he'd be better than gold. How sad that she suffers with what she does..... :-(

Great writing as usual M'Lady.

S@n February 28, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

:o Oh Ariana!!! This chapter was fabulous, every chapter is getting more dramatic and heartbreaking.

Vicky's dad is just a big ignorant jerk.... doesn't he know that every year you are supposed to take an "annual check up" just to see if everything is ok... it is obvious something is wrong with Vicky's mom!!!
I just think he just wants her dead so he can get rid of her and the baby as well...

He is such a cold bastard!
His ideas are so idiotic and foolish... I bet he is not even half the 'man' he thinks he is... a real man wouldn't treat his family like that. wouldn't be asking so much from his kids and wife when he has nothing to give, nothing to offer or is willing to cooperate with them... I really hope he burns in hell one day, and before that happens, I really hope he ends up all alone in that big house, with nobody to care for him, or help him in his need, old sick and lonely, that's how he deserve to spend his days... (sorry but it really made me angry!! lol)

Clay, I hope he will be better in collage, I just hope his addiction wont grow bigger while he is there...

Vicky was very 'soft' on her father, he deserves to hear everything she has to say, everything she thinks of him.... he really needs someone to put him in place... I hope she continues to tell him what she thinks and how wrong he is, maybe he will open his eyes once again... (I doubt that would happpen) but I want to believe there's still hope for Vicky and her mom and lil brother!!!

Wonderful story, the writing is just flowing so nicely, and the pictures go perfect with it...
Bravo...


ps. I did try to find the three pics you mentioned without the walls and I didn't find them, lol :D
I was so engross in the writing that I didn't see anything wrong with the pictures. I looked again to try to find them, but I gave up, I don't see anything wrong with them :P lol

Zayury February 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

OMG! I cannot believe you committed such a sin! LOL! :D Girl, you crack me up! Like Hunter I was so captivated by the story that I barely noticed!

Your pictures look GORGEOUS my dear! All your characters are very attractive especially the main ones, they are BEAUTIFUL! I loved the way you set up the school bus scene! AWESOME pics and sets! :rah:

I think is very sad and interesting to see how Clay changed. At first it looked like he was going to be exactly like his father, and the father acted like Clay was his pride and joy, and totally ignored or belittled Victoria. I guess the pressure got to be too much for Clay and that is why he resorted to drugs… :( I also find it very interesting that Victoria has managed to maintain good grades even though she has dealt with the household and worries about her mother and little brother! She is one amazing young lady, and I hope someday the evil writer allows her to be happy, lol! ;p

I’m so glad she finally spoke to Shane, lol, and that she spent a nice time dancing with him! :wub: I agree with Hunter, her dad is freaking handsome, too bad he is such a bastard! I have a feeling the mother is more sick than he thinks…

I LOVE this story my dear! Your writing like always is amazing and your pictures are so clear and crisp, I love them! AWESOME STORY!!! :rah: :wub:

Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

I'm glad we got to see a little bit of a good side to Erik, with him being nice and more like his old self to Victoria and with finally listening to her about having the doctor over. It's a shame though that that couldn't carry over to allow the blood tests. I wonder why. I'm wondering if it's just his VanDoren pride or if there's another reason why he had aversions to doctors or medical tests. Either way, it's pathetic that he wouldn't put his wife's health first.

On another note, I thought the name Mr. Ficus for the pervy biology teacher was hilarious. :D

Astral Faery February 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Hi, Hunter!

Erik is very handsome, isn't he? Sigh, too bad he's such an ass. And he doesn't get any better, either. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I really appreciate them!

Astral Faery February 28, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

Hi, Sandy!

So glad you enjoyed the chapter. And if you think Erik is awful now, just wait! Because he gets much worse if you can believe that. And Victoria isn't exactly soft spoken with him, either. You'll see her start to rebel against him in later chapters. And as far as what eventually happens to Erik, let's just say you may be on to a couple of things there, ;)

Thank you so much for reading!

Astral Faery February 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

Hi, Zayury!

First of all, thank you SO MUCH for fixing my pictures! That was so kind and thoughtful of you!!

Victoria certainly is an amazing young lady. She has big dreams and is driven to fulfill them, despite her home issues. Will she ever be happy someday? Yes, but not for a very, very long time. The evil writer has MUCH distress planned for her, so much so, that even I feel heartbroken at times when I'm writing. But I need to tell it. It's in my head and it has to get out. This is not a happy story. And it seems that most of the people in Victoria's life are content to to stomp on her. Things get oh so much worse from here! But, like you told me awhile back, Victoria means Victory, and eventually, she'll have her happiness.

Thanks for reading!

Astral Faery February 28, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Hi, Em!

LOL! Ficus was the first thing that popped into my head so I just went with it.

Erik not only has his twisted VanDoren pride ruling his decisions, but he's also in denial that his family is as bad as it is. He's totally pulled into himself, and remains mostly oblivious to the others until they directly affect him. 'Tis sad, surely.

Thanks so much for reading!

Sherry February 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

Loved Shane and Vicky dancing!!! He's hot ;P

Vicky and Debbie messinng around on the way to the club razzing each other over Mr. Ficus was hilarious! Only among friends...

About Erik, I think Doc P. (sexy as he may be, btw) could overide him now that he's been to examine Katherine. Either she gives consent for herself or another party is established to do so. Does Erik have some kind of order to be her guardian? And what the hell, Doc Sexy, can't you do anything?!!!

I'm seriously whatevsing on Clay. I'm sorry things are so bad for them, but what a dipshit, I hope doesn't OD in an alley and die or something.

As you can see, I'm quite into this story and emotionally involved.

It's not healthy. But so delishy!:) <3AureliaB

Sam Cains March 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

Hello, just read all three chapters back to back and can I just say that this story is immense!

Victoria is such a lovely girl and it's great that she stood up to her father for once. I like her new hair it makes her look a lot older than the previous chapter (I actually thought you had used an adult sim to begin with)

Oh Debbi's hair is awesome too! IN all the colours! lol

The writing has been fantastic throughout and very descriptive. You have taken a huge risk in changing the genre of your stories and it has paid off big time. :D
Your other stories are amazing but you can write in all sorts of genres which makes you special ;)

Your pictures are amazing too, the schoolbus pictures are all very well done, and they are perfectly clear and crisp.

One thing that I got confused by was when Victoria got her dad to agree for the doctor to come round and then said that he didn't have to be there even though the doctor had said that he did. That was my only "issue"

Oh and I didn't even notice the walls were down because I was so wrapped up in the story.

Her father is an A-hole. Yes doctor you can come over but you can't actually attempt to save my wife's life! No doubt he has another woman on the go as well.

Great story I will be coming back for more! :D

Damon March 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

FINALLY got to get to this chapter with no trouble! :D

Have to keep this short and sweet, I'm cold and my fingers won't let me type, lol! :D

I'm glad that Vic got to talk to Shane with no babbling, lol! :D
Maybe they can start some sort of relationship, I know he can probably help her with all the problems she's having!

I thought that Vic's father was being nice, but I guess it was only a short amount of time! It was like 2 seconds for when I went to the second pick and text, lol! :D He's such jerk though! Does he understand his wife may die?

I'm very glad that Vic got to confront him and tell him what he is and what he SHOULD be doing! I mean he looks pretty pissed but I'm glad she said what she needed to say. I bet he's just mad because he knows she's right!

But overall this chapter was great and I can't wait until the next chapter! :D

Very good! :D

Astral Faery March 4, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Hi, Sherry!

I'm developing a serious crush on Shane, myself, lol. I was swooning as I was shooting pics last night. Shooting and swooning. And maybe drooling, too. ;)

Debbi and Vicky are a lot of fun together. Debbi is a lot different than her, but they get along great.

You'll find out more about the Katherine/Erik/doctor situation later on.

Thanks so much for reading, hon!

Astral Faery March 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Hi, Sam! I haven't seen you around in quite awhile, and I'm thrilled you're reading!

I enjoy fantasy quite a bit, and that would be probably what I would consider my 'main' genre, but sometimes I have the urge to work on something different. This one has been brewing since before I even started BLD, over a year ago, so it's been waiting for quite awhile. Now I want to work on it like crazy, lol. Thank you SO much for saying that I was doing well in more than one genre, that is a huge compliment. :)

Vicky does look a bit older than her age. Isn't it funny how some sim teens look twelve and others look like adults? And hair and makeup can have an effect on that, too.

Thank you for your compliments on my pictures. The schoolbus ones were...a pain, lol.

I guess that was a little confusing, how I put that about Vic saying that her dad didn't need to be there when the doc came but doc saying Erik had to sign a consent. She probably knew her dad would stay, but was trying to talk him into letting the doc come in the first place, and that's why she said that. Erik could have signed the consent and then left the room to let Vic deal with the rest, if he wanted.

Fortunately for the readers, now, my lovely friend Zayury fixed my wall down pictures in photoshop (or Gimp or whatever photo editing software she uses). I was so completely thrilled and honored she would think of such a thing.

And yes, Erik is the epitome of A-holes. Big time. And it gets worse.

So happy you're reading, Sam! Hope all is going well with you.

Astral Faery March 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

Hi, Damon!

Glad you liked the chapter.

Erik seems to be contentedly oblivious to his wife's condition, doesn't he? He's very stubborn and believes what he wants. In his mind, Bradley is the cause of Katherine's excessive fatigue. Period. He refuses to let anyone else tell him different.

I love Vicky and Shane together, they're so cute. You'll see more of them in upcoming chapters.

Thanks so much for reading, Little Man!

Sam Cains March 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

I know I haven't been around lately but I am trying to prioritise and get things in order. I have work, I'm addicted to a forum that I am always on... sadly not the simtales one (seems a bit dead lately) I have LOST to watch every week. Then there's always something floating around in my head that I need to write down ASAP.

But, onto the actual subject... You will only ever receive compliments from me Ariana, everything you write is so captivating and I will always be coming around to read what you have written :D

The thing you said about teen sims is so true... I have been doing a little bit of a legacy, my second generation sims (three of them) are all at University at the moment. The eldest ( a boy) looked very old when he was a teen (he's not very appealing) the twins (two girls) were adorable from the word go and they still are now :D I'm so happy with them but they also looked older as teens. I'm waiting for the fourth child (a boy) to grow up to a teen, I think he will look really young though.

I could tell that those school bus pictures would be a pain that's why I decided to point them out. Your hard work was not in vain!

I get what you mean now! He would have just had to let the doctor in, not watch everything happening. I see.

Wow! I can't believe she did that! I wouldn't have even thought of doing that! If i had known which ones had the walls down I would go back and have a look but I didn't notice anyway :(

No! It can't get worse; his wife is F-ing dying!

All is going well thank you. I'll see you for the next chapter :D

Astral Faery March 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

Hi, Sam!

You're a sweetie for getting all caught up. I am currently pretty far behind in all my reading. I need to work on that. I'll try to keep up with your DV as you're writing it so I don't fall behind on that, too.

Have fun with your legacy. Can you make it through all ten generations? I've only been good for about five before I start getting bored, lol.

Nonni May 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM  

*sigh* This is a familiar scenario.
Well written, Ari.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

ZAYURY - for fixing up my beautiful blogs, never hesitating when I need help and for being my unFUBARing tech support!

NYX MORRIGHAN - for her beautiful Jane Austen sim who plays Victoria throughout this entire story (with contacts and makeup, of course ;) )  http://nyxssims.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-sims-2-blog.html

ED - for decorating Victoria's whole house. I loathe decorating, lol.

EM - for introducing me to sim storytelling.

HARRY - my real life hubby who contributed his art for Club Red.

SUGAH - for turning my hubby's art into beautiful sim wall art, for her beautiful walls, and also for some of the wonderful clothing I use.

HUNTER - for her beautiful clothing I've used.

And to all of the custom creators without whom this story would never exist.

More thanks to come as the story progresses.


WONDERFUL FREE DOWNLOADS!

WONDERFUL FREE DOWNLOADS!
SUGAH'S PLACE

GREAT DOWNLOADS

GREAT DOWNLOADS
BASIC FOR SIMS

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP